The Florida Department of Health has added a one hour CE requirement for Human Trafficking for licensees across several professions, including Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants.
Here's what you need to know:
- This is a one-time requirement that must be completed anytime between July 1, 2019 and January 1, 2021.
- The course must be at least one hour.
- The course must cover the following topics: Both sex trafficking and labor trafficking, how to identify individuals who may be victims of human trafficking, how to report cases of human trafficking, and resources available to victims.
- The course must be approved by the FPTA, APTA, or any Florida board that requires Human Trafficking.
- Click here to view a list of approved courses for Physical Therapists.
- Click here to view a list of approved courses for Physical Therapist Assistants.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- "My compliance status is 'Complete' even though I did not take a Human Trafficking course. Does this mean I'm not required to do it?"
Your compliance status does not include the Human Trafficking requirement. All licensed professionals under the Florida Board of Physical Therapy must complete an approved Human Trafficking course. Your compliance status calculates the hours required for your license renewal on 11/30/2021. The Human Trafficking course has a separate deadline unrelated to your license renewal: 01/01/2021.
- "My Professional account transcript does not include a Human Trafficking section. Why not?"
Your Professional transcript shows the requirements specifically for your license renewal. Since the Human Trafficking course is not directly tied to your renewal, it does not have its own section on the transcript.
- "Will completing an approved Human Trafficking course also award CE credit for my license renewal?"
Yes! The hours you earn will be counted as General credit for your license renewal.
- "I already completed a Human Trafficking course. How can I make sure it will be recognized by the state?"
Click on the name of the course you completed in your Course History to verify that the subject area displays "Human Trafficking." If the subject area does not display "Human Trafficking," and the course covered the mandatory topics, then you may need to delete the course and report it again under the section "Human Trafficking CE."
- "I found a course called 'Human Trafficking' that does not appear on the CE Broker course search. Will it be accepted?"
The course will be accepted long as it is approved by the FPTA, APTA, or any Florida board that requires Human Trafficking. It must cover the following topics:
- Both sex trafficking and labor trafficking
- How to identify individuals who may be victims of human trafficking
- How to report cases of human trafficking
- Resources available to victims
If it's not in the CE Broker course search, then it may not get reported to your account automatically. You would need to report the course manually under the section "Human Trafficking CE" to ensure you receive credit.
- "Where can I find an approved Human Trafficking course?"
Use the CE Broker Course Search to find Human Trafficking courses that have been approved by the Florida Board of Physical Therapy for your profession: