The Georgia Board of Nursing accepts either contact hours or CEUs (in any combination) to fulfill the continuing education requirements. Below are specific explanations of requirements by profession.
RNs are required to complete 30 hours of CE with no specific subject area requirements. All CE can be completed as self-study. There is no live hours requirement.
ARNPs are authorized in Georgia and use the same license number as associated with their RN license. There are no CE requirements for the APRN (just the standard RN requirements). The Board simply conducts an audit of their certifications to make sure that they are current. All CE can be completed as self-study. There is no live hours requirement.
LPNs are required to complete 20 hours of CE with no specific subject area requirements. All CE can be completed as self-study. There is no live hours requirement.
CEU Measurement Guide:
- One Contact Hour is equal to 60 minutes of instruction.
- 0.1 CEU is equal to 60 minutes of Instruction.
- 1 CEU is equal to ten hours of instruction.
Activities that are not accepted as continuing education:
- Offerings designed for lay persons
- Offerings less than 30 minutes in duration
- On-the-job orientation
- On-the-job training related to new policies, procedures or equipment
- Other educational activities not sufficiently professional in character to reasonably qualify as continuing education.
Find more information here.
Want an easier way to track what CE is required for your renewal?
Receive a personal CE Transcript when you sign up for a Professional Account. A CE Transcript is a clear list of what CE you have completed and what is left to complete.